Fluvius Barge used on our Amsterdam to Bruges bike and boat holidays | Boat Bike tours
Bike & Boat packages are one of our most popular types of active holidays because they allow travellers to delve deeper into some of the most picturesque landscapes, cities, villages and cultural sites in the world. Consider the added benefits of covering a great deal of distance while only unpacking once, waking up to a different view each morning, and meeting like-minded travellers and it’s easy to see why these holidays are the talk of the town.
Because there’s no one-size-fits-all active holiday for everyone, we’ve narrowed down the top 5 things you should think about when choosing your perfect Bike & Boat holiday, so you can do Europe
- GUIDED VS SELF-GUIDED
Our Bike & Boat holidays can either be guided, self guided or both. While all options have an on-board guide to provide local knowledge, the choice of whether you want to cycle in a group with a guide or navigate yourself and cycle at your own pace, will depend on the trip. For example, on our Amsterdam to Bruges Deluxe trip you can navigate yourself or join the group, on our Loire Valley Bike and Barge trip you enjoy the advantages of group guided cycling, and our Rhine Valley Barge and Bike trip is only available as a self guided cycle.
- BOATING 101: A BEGINNER'S GUIDE
We are proud to offer the largest range of Bike & Boat holidays in Europe, with boats ranging from basic barges able to accommodate 15-20 passengers to luxury yachts and ships that can comfortably accommodate up to 135.
Barges are grouped in categories, from A+ to D. The following photos will give you some insight into the different levels of comfort that the most common categories entail. Of course, personal taste also comes into play – some people prefer the smaller barges that are generally family-owned and run and oozing character to the more luxurious vessels.
Category A barge MS Princess used on Berlin Bike & Barge
Category B barge used in Belgium & Holland Tulips Tour
Category C barge Anna Maria V used on Taste of Burgundy
Yachts also have different gradings according to their level of comfort. Compare the Princeza Diana, which is a ‘Deluxe Class’ Croatian yacht...
Deluxe Class Princeza Diana yacht used on Croatia Family Adventure
...to the Panagiota, which is a ‘Comfort Class’ Greek yacht.
Comfort Class Panagiota yacht used on Ionian Islands Bike & Sail
- UNDERSTANDING OUR GRADINGS
Your level of fitness will have a big impact on the type of Boat & Bike holiday you choose. All of our active holidays have been graded from 1 (introductory) to 5 (challenging). These gradings take into account:
- the distance cycled each day in kms
- topography and steepness of ascents and descents
- impact of weather conditions.
- TO (B)e-BIKE OR NOT TO (B)e-BIKE
Over the last decade, e-bike use has grown dramatically, especially in Europe. The pedalling ‘boost’ e-bikes offer makes cycling easier for users, which means that people of different fitness levels can cycle together and cyclists can tackle routes that they previously would have considered too difficult, and cover longer distances. In short, we’re big fans!
This video shows how e-bikes opened up a whole new world of cycling holidays for one of our travellers.
- WHERE TO?
Now for the fun part! If you’re a history buff you may be drawn to the ancient cities of Italy and Greece, if you’re an art or music lover you may want to include Austria on your itinerary, if wine is your vice you may find yourself being drawn to France, or if you have a green thumb a trip to Holland in Spring is no doubt on your bucket list. Because we offer the largest range of Bike & Boat active holidays in Europe, we’re guaranteed to have the perfect cycling holiday for you that incorporates all of your passions.
Take a look at some of our most popular countries for Bike & Boat trips for some inspiration:
- Bike & Barge in France: cycle through the vineyards of the Loire Valley, Burgundy or Bordeaux
- Bike & Barge in Holland: follow the canals through the Dutch countryside and be welcomed by thousands of tulips, daffodils and hyacinths in Spring
- Bike & Barge in Belgium: discover the beautiful landscapes and charming towns of Belgium by bike
- Bike & Barge along the Danube: wind your way past Austria’s enchanting monasteries and castles, explore Germany’s fairytale landscapes and breweries and discover the majestic city of Budapest in Hungary
- Cycle & Sail in Greece: sail between the South Aegean or Ionian islands and cycle to picture-perfect beaches and ancient ruins
- Cycle & Sail in Croatia: explore the islands in Kvarner Bay or Northern or Southern Dalmatia and discover the charm of the fabled Adriatic and its peoples
If you need help being matched with the Bike & Boat holiday of your dreams, don’t hesitate to get in touch